Lovers of steak sandwiches rejoice! Dan-O took the steak sandwich to the next level on the Big Green egg with smoked tri-tip and melty swiss cheese. This sandwich also includes Dan-O’ed up mushrooms and onions, on a nice artisan bun. You can’t beat it!
There are a lot of ways you could cook a tri-tip, but Dan-O went with a quick sear, finished low and slow, and brought the heat up again for a crispy finish. You could fully sear yours and finish low and slow, low and slow and then reverse sear, or smoke all the way. The world is yours! This could be done on any charcoal grill or smoker, but the Big Green Egg is a serious cooking machine.
Serve your Tri-Tip Steak & Swiss Sandwich with chips and sides of choice. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs tri tip steak
- 3 tbsp liquid aminos
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- ½ medium white onion (sliced)
- 4 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- Swiss cheese
- Choice of buns
- Add tri-tip to a bag and pour in your liquid aminos. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Remove steak from bag and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- While marinating, prepare your Big Green Egg (or charcoal grill) with natural charcoal and get it lit. Once your charcoal is going, add on a few chunks of oak wood chips. Bring grill up to 400-500 degrees.
- Season your tri tip generously with spicy Dan-O’s, add your steak to the big green egg and sear for a 3-4 minutes on each side. Then, bring temperature down to about 250 degrees to finish cooking. For medium rare, cook to 125 degrees for a nice medium rare. Remove steak from grill and allow to rest.
- While steak rests, slice your mushrooms and onions and cook in a medium pan with some water and Dan-O’s Seasoning until softened (5-10) minutes. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Once your mushrooms and onions are cooked, thinly slice your tri-tip. Add slices to a bun with onions, mushrooms, and swiss cheese. Melt cheese with torch if desired.