Many of y’all know, chicken and Dan-O’s Seasoning are a match made in heaven. Bone-in chicken is the birthplace of Dan-O’s, and holds a special place for us! So this week, we’re getting the smoker ready to do a spatchcock smoked chicken, which always turns out Dantastic. This is an easy smoker recipe that takes about 3 hours and minimal ingredients.
So what is spatchcocking? It’s a method where you cut out the backbone of a chicken and cut through the sternum to lay your chicken down flat. If you’re wondering why we do this, the chicken cooks faster and more evenly and then has more surface area to absorb smoke and take in flavor. It’s a super easy technique that will take your smoked chicken recipes to the next level.
Once you prep your chicken, all you need to do is coat it with a generous portion of Dan-O’s on both sides. Get your smoker going to 225 to 250 degrees, and toss em on. We’re going to spritz the chicken with some apple juice every 30 minutes to an hour to keep the skin from drying out and adding more flavor.
Once you’ve reached an internal temperature of about 160 for the white meat and 170 for the dark, your chicken is ready to pull! This should take about 3-4 hours depending on the size of the bird and the temperature of the smoker. So there you have it! Your spatchcock smoked chicken is ready to eat. Get you some Dan-O’s vinaigrette, or make one of our easy side dishes while you wait, and your eatin’ Dan Good!
- Whole chicken
- Apple Juice for spritzing (optional)
- Dan-O’s seasoning
- Charcoal and wood chunks of your choosing
- Prepare smoker and preheat to 225-250 degrees.
- Carefully remove the backbone from your chicken with kitchen shears and break through the sternum bone.
- Lay your chicken flat, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season both sides of chicken with Dan-O’s Seasoning (spicy or regular).
- Add chicken to the smoker breast-side up, and close lid.
- Let smoke for 3-4 hours, adding wood and coals as needed (until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 for breast, and 170 for thigh).
- Remove from smoker, let rest for 5-10 minutes, and enjoy!