You haven’t had cod until you’ve had blackened cod! This dish is mild on a fishy scale but is a little spicy with a great grilled flavor and an awesome sauce. I have NEVER been a fan of tartar sauce though, so please don’t call my sauce that ha. It’s more like a half aioli, half tarter, so let’s just call it a white sauce.
For the cod… use good, fresh cod and not frozen cod. Once frozen, cod likes to fall apart and is hard to handle. Make sure you dry your cod very well with several paper towels and allow it to sit at room temperature for roughly 30 mins before cooking. If you’ve had blackened cod before, you’ve probably had something saltier than it would if seasoning with Dan-O’s, so add a little salt… but be careful because cod really takes salt in a lot! Don’t overdo it.
For the sauce, you could go straight mayo, but if you’re like me you like sour cream and want to do half and half. I found spicy-sweet pickles are the best for this sauce. It’s great to use fresh, grated garlic but I won’t say anything if you use pre-minced garlic. Remember, it’s a white sauce and not tarter!
This Blackened Cod With White Sauce recipe only takes about 20 minutes to make, but your guests don’t have to know that. This is a real crowd pleaser and is Dan Good!
Enjoyed this paleo-friendly recipe? Make sure to try some of our other favorite paleo recipes.
For the fish
- 1 large Cod fillet per person
- Olive oil
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Ground sea salt
- Chives for garnish (optional)
For the sauce
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spicy sweet pickles (lightly dried and diced)
- 1 tsp fresh grated garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add all your sauce ingredients except for pickles and garlic together in a small bowl. Grate your garlic and dice your pickles, then add to the bowl as well. Mix well, cover and place in the fridge.
- Dry your cod off very well with paper towels and let rest at room temp for 30 mins. Preheat a pan with roughly 3 tbsp olive oil to medium-high heat. Add fresh ground salt and pepper to fillet. Heavily coat each side with spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning.
- Add fillets to the pan and cook 2.5-4 minutes per side (until min internal temperature of 145 degrees). Add about a tsp of butter to the pan for each side of the fish. Be careful when flipping your filets and be sure to flip only once. Squeeze some of your fresh lemon juice on fillets while cooking for added flavor.
- Carefully remove cod from the pan once fully cooked and at a min of 145 degrees internal temperature. Serve with sauce and green veggies.