Savory Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
Are you a big fan of teriyaki? Then try our Dan-yaki chicken and broccoli! This is a fun twist on your standard teriyaki chicken by giving the teriyaki sauce some oomph with Dan-O’s Crunchy. You’ll also get a bit of heat from Dan-O’s Spicy with your chicken, broccoli, and water chestnuts. We used Costco rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but if you’re in a pinch then you can just cook some chicken breasts with Dan-O’s Original and then shred it.
What is Teriyaki?
Teriyaki is a cooking technique in which foods are grilled, sometimes broiled, with a glaze of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. It’s often associated with Japanese food, but it’s found commonly enough in other Asian cooking. Chinese, Indonesian, and Thai cuisine all have similar processes. The name Teriyaki comes from the Japanese noun teri, which roughly means a shine, or luster given by the sugar content in tare. Yaki refers to the cooking method of grilling, or broiling. In a traditional method, the meat is dipped in and brushed with sauce several times during cooking.
Teriyaki is believed to have evolved in the 1600s in Japan. Tare is made by mixing and heating soy sauce, sake or mirin, and sugar or honey. The sauce is boiled, and then reduced to the desired thickness before being used to marinate the meat. Sometimes ginger is added, and spring onions are used as a garnish. Teriyaki was originally used for fish, but has evolved to include teriyaki chicken, beef, and tofu.
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 8oz can of water chestnuts
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- Dan-O’s Spicy
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 8 oz brown sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup of water
- Dan-O’s Crunchy
- 4 cloves garlic
- Pull meat from rotisserie chicken and set to the side
- Cook Jasmine rice per instructions
To make the Dan-yaki sauce:
- Heat a Wok to medium and add brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water, mix until smooth and add to Wok, stir together until sauce is thickened.
- Add Dan-O’s everything bagel to sauce, and mix until incorporated
- Pour sauce into small bowl and set to the side
- Heat wok to medium and add oil
- Chop broccoli into florets and add to Wok with water chestnuts
- Cook for three minutes
- Add pulled chicken, Dan-yaki sauce, and Dan-O’s Spicy to Wok and stir together
- Remove from heat
- Serve over jasmine rice and enjoy!