Chili season is here! So here’s one of the best chili recipes that you can find. This one has a lot going for it: a little heat, a little sweet, a little zest, BBQ, chicken, lots of fresh veggies, and the best seasoning blend known to man! This is known as Chuck’s spicy BBQ chicken chili recipe and you’re sure to love it!
To start, I live in the midwest… and while many people have an idea of what chili should be, it’s a very regional thing. In the midwest, you see a lot of tomato-based chilis with beans and sometimes even noodles. I did not use noodles this time, but you totally can if you want! Don’t listen to the haters.
Anyway, if I have any good porter-style beers around, I often put some in my chili. Currently, Yuengling has a Hershey porter going around, which ended up perfect for this recipe. You won’t taste the chocolate, but there is a little sweetness and maltiness that carries over. Check it out if you can find it in your state! I also had some smoked jalapenos in my freezer, but most people won’t have these so I did not list them in the ingredients.
I also used to measure out like 10 different seasonings in my chili, but spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning and chili powder ended up being all that I needed. A ton of the flavor will come from the ingredients, so you don’t have to be super reliant on seasoning. I didn’t even need to add salt, because Dan-O’s had me covered!
So next time you make chili, look in the fridge… you probably have the extra things you need to turn your chili into this spicy BBQ chicken chili recipe! And since chili has no rule, you have plenty of room to make it your own. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 46 oz can of tomato juice
- 1 can of beef broth
- 1 cup of dark porter-style beer (optional)
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce (preferably sweet Baby Rays)
- 3 tbs yellow mustard
- 1 package of chili powder
- ¼ cup Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2 cans of red kidney beans
- 2 cans of rotel
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- 1 habanero pepper (optional)
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 6 oz frozen corn
- Make your chili base. Add all liquid ingredients and cans of rotel to your pot. Mix in chili powder and Dan-O’s seasoning. Stil occasionally and let cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes,
- Deseed your peppers and dice all of your veggies. Add them to the chili base and mix in. Bring to a quick boil before returning to medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add cans of chili to chili base and veggies. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Season chicken breasts with spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning and cook in a pan. Chop into bitesize pieces and add to your chili. Add in corn as well.
- Continue cooking for 30-45 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Serve with choice of cheese, peanut butter sandwiches, or crackers. Enjoy!