Homestyle Pizza Puff Pastry Twists
These Pizza Puff Pastry Twists will have you remembering your days in the grade school cafeteria. While the cafeteria’s pizza twist was barely put together and lacking in flavor, these Pizza twists are the exact opposite. Buttery, flaky, and filled to the brim with warm pizza sauce and cheese that will melt in your mouth and have you feeling nostalgic for simpler times.
Puff ’n’ Go
You may be wondering the difference between Puff pastry and regular dough. Puff Pastry is a buttery, flaky, and airy dough. Puff Pastry only contains flour, butter, and salt yet is able to puff up despite no leavening agent being present. Despite being simple, making homemade puff pastry is a painstaking process. You start with a simple dough of flour and water, rolling it out, and then putting butter on top. You then proceed to fold the dough over the butter, and roll it flat, repeating and folding the dough hundreds of times to create these layers. Once in the oven, the water and butter in the dough will burst forth with a still that lifts the layers up that give it its trademark fluffy, flaky texture.
The reason this is such a painstaking process is that the butter must be cold, so it takes more effort to roll out and then the dough needs to chill between each new round of rolling and folding. Thankfully, you can buy high quality premade puff pastry dough that’ll produce results similar to handmade dough.
“Friday was pizza day, the best day of the week”
When you had these in the school cafeteria, you were at the mercy of whatever flavor they made that day but now as an adult, you can control the specifics of your Puff Pastry Pizza Twists. You can stuff these full of all sorts of toppings to make supreme pizza twists, or just a meat lovers delight. While these are entree sized, you can scale them down to an appetizer with relative ease. So get a dose of nostalgia, and whip these Puff Pastry Pizza twists for dinner tonight!
- Place 2 sheets of puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut them into a large circle then remove the top sheet and set aside
- Add a layer of pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese then sprinkle on some of that Dan-O’s Original! Then, return the top layer of puff pastry.
- Place a Dan-O’s Bottle in the center of the circle and then cut the outside section into strips. Then grab each strip and twist.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with Spicy Dan-O’s.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- When you serve, twist each pastry to remove