Getting a little epic today. Made a spinach and jalapeno cream cheese stuffed pork loin… wrapped it in bacon, and threw it on the smoker. I made this stuffed pork loin recipe with some mustard greens and mashed potatoes. Seasoned both sides with Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning. Had friends all up and down social media asking to come eat and making me feel good! Oh, the flex!
When making this recipe, you’re going to have to butterfly cut your pork loin. It’s probably the hardest part, but watch a few YouTube vids and you can figure it out. Otherwise, you can ask the butcher if he can when you buy the loin. You can also do this with a tenderloin, and just pound it flat if you’re not comfortable butterfly cutting. Once you have your loin flattened out, coat each side in Dan-O’s Seasoning!
For the filling, heat a small saucepan on medium. Make sure to soften your cream cheese in advance or do it in the microwave. Add some oil, diced jalapeno, minced garlic, and chopped spinach to the pan. Let it all cook down and soften for a few minutes. Add in the cream cheese, and just a squeeze of lemon juice to cut down the cheese for a nice creamy filling. Scoop into the center of your pork loin and get ready to roll.
So, now you roll this bad boy back into shape. Make sure the fat cap is facing up… And what I did was gently drape some bacon just over the top and sides, leaving the bottom exposed. Why? Because pork loin is super lean and the fatty bacon will baste it during cooking. And having the bottom exposed lets some smoke permeate the bottom of the loin (otherwise the bacon will take most of it in). Tie in about 5 or 6 places with bakers twine to hold it together.
Viola! This bad boy is ready to smoke. Didn’t take long for me… maybe 2-3 hours around 225 degrees. Don’t overcook and make sure to remove your baker’s twine before eating! Also, to prevent losing some filling. Plug the sides up with leftover lemon slices or spinach before smoking.
You could do this on a low-temp gas or charcoal grill, or in the oven if you’d like. Let cool down for about 30 mins after done, slice, and serve! Juicy, Dan-O’sy, spicy, cheesy, smoky, double porky goodness 😉
- One 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened)
- Minced garlic
- 2-3 Jalapenos
- 4-5 spinach leaves
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Whole pork loin, butterfly cut
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Half pack of bacon
- Bakers twine
- Butterfly cut your pork loin. If you are not comfortable, ask your butcher to do this part.
- Slightly tenderize the meat and trim into big rectangular shape. Don’t pound too flat, as the slices in your pork loin can break through.
- Season both sides of your pork loin with Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- Heat saucepan to medium, and a few teaspoons of oil.
- Dice up your garlic, jalapenos and spinach. Add to the oil to cook down for 2-3 minutes.
- Add softened cream cheese to the saucepan, with a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir
- Remove from heat and add filling to center of pork loin
- Roll pork loin back into shape, making sure the fat cap is facing up
- Drape half-cut pieces of bacon over top, leaving the bottom exposed
- Wrap loin with butchers twine in about 5-6 spots to hold together (between pieces of bacon so you can see them later)
- Smoke at 225 degrees until reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees (2-3 hours, but use a thermometer…)
- Remove from smoker. Let cool down for 20-30 minutes, remove baker twine as you slice down, slice, and serve!