A little spicy, a little sweet. A little garlic, a little bourbon. A whole lot of Dan-O’s! This Honey Sriracha Chicken on Mac N Cheese Recipe is an absolute game-changer. It’s incredibly easy too! This can be prepped in just a few minutes, then onto the slow cooker and stovetop for the rest.
So, the idea for the shredded chicken on the Mac N Cheese came from one of my favorite places to eat, J Gumbos. They also have a honey sriracha chicken recipe, but I’m sorry… I like mine better 🙂 The Dan-O’s Seasoning sets it off, and I go a little bit spicier than they like to. Really you can use this recipe on rice to go healthier, but nah.
A big tip to this recipe, quickly pan-sear your Dan-O’s coated chicken in a hot pan for about 1-2 minutes per side before putting in the slow cooker. This will activate the herbs and give some grilled flavor. Another tip is, splash a little bourbon in your slow cooker at the beginning of cooking.
So what’s in the sauce? Sriracha, honey, Dan-O’s, minced garlic, bourbon, soy, sauce, red wine vinegar, and a little lime juice and chicken stock. Is it weird I have all of this stuff handy? Probably. BUT the honey and sriracha are the stars of the show. I highly recommend at least having the soy sauce in addition those (at the minimum), but the more things you have the better on this one.
For the mac N cheese, I was lazy. I wanted to make my own, but used the stuff from the box and churched it up. Used cream cheese, greek yogurt for creaminess, spicy Dan-O’s, and mozzarella. It was still pretty Dan Good!
About 3-4 hours in, I had some of the best Dan honey sriracha slow cooker chicken I’ve had. I served this garlic bread and called it a day. Do this! Make this. Treat yoself. I used a mini crockpot here, but double up if you want to go bigger!
- 1.5 Lbs chicken breasts
- Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- ⅓ cup sriracha (or less for less heat)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup chicken stock (optional)
- Water and corn starch (optional)
- Green onion (optional)
- Slash of bourbon
- Splash of lime juice
- Mac N cheese or rice
- Preheat oiled pan to medium-high and season chicken breasts with Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning.
- Quickly sear chicken for 1-1.5 min each side (do not cook all the way through).
- Add chicken to bottom slow cooker.
- Add all liquid ingredients, a liberal amount of Dan-O’s and minced garlic together. Pour over chicken in the slow cooker. Add in enough chicken broth to cover breasts.
- Allow to cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker and shred on a plate. Thicken up sauce if desired while the chicken is removed (corn starch water), more honey or Dan-O’s to desired flavor. Add more honey or sriracha if too hot or not hot enough.
- Add chicken back to slow cooker. Start up your mac N cheese or rice.
- Once rice or mac N cheese is done, pour chicken and sauce overtop. Garnish with green onion and a drizzle of sriracha. Serve with garlic bread!