Rich and Creamy Mushroom Pasta
It’s officially mushroom season, so what better way to celebrate than with this delicious Creamy Mushroom Pasta by Wholesome Hedonista! Not only is this pasta rich in flavor, it’s vegan, and it’s both dairy and gluten free! This is comfort food you won’t feel bad about it as you go for a second, and maybe even a third helping!
Caramelize me, captain
A key part of this recipe is the caramelization of the shallots and mushrooms which impart a deep savory sweet and buttery flavor to the pasta. There’s two reactions in play when we caramelize things: The Maillard reaction, and Caramelization. Caramelization is straightforward, it’s the oxidation of sugar. The Maillard reaction is more complex but the gist is that it’s a nonenzymatic reaction between proteins and sugars that occur upon heating and produces browning of some foods like Meat. It’s important to note that these reactions are not mutually exclusive, so you can have one without the other.
Can’t rush perfection
One thing about caramelization is that there’s no one neat trick to speed it up, it just takes time. You may hear about adding baking soda to help speed up the process but it turns the shallots into mush and gives them a bitter taste. What about adding sugar? It won’t really help anything but make them sweeter. The only way to do this right is with steady heat and time. While it may be disappointing to hear you won’t get caramelized shallots and mushrooms in as low as 10 minutes, the time you invest will pay off with flavors that can’t be beat.
If you take the time, and do it right then this dish just can’t be beat. Special thanks to Wholesome Hedonista for this recipe! You can check out their instagram at @wholesomehedonista and their website at wholesomehedonista.com.
Looking for other tasty pasta recipes to try? Try our homemade chicken fettuccine alfredo recipe.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, torn
- 1-2 sprigs of thyme
- 2-3 tsp Dan-O’s Original
- Cashew cream (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Pasta water (1/4-1/2 cup)
- Lots of fresh I
- parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 cups pasta of choice cooked al dente in salted water (I used gf farfalle) *reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashews (boiled for 20 minutes or soaked overnight)
Blend together in a *high powered blender on max speed until very smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan.
- Sauté mushrooms and shallots on medium-high for 8-10 minutes until nicely caramelized, stirring frequently as to not burn shallots (add a little more olive oil if needed).
- Add minced garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme (I just like to roughly tear them in but you can chop if you prefer), and Dan-O’s. Sauté 2 minutes until very fragrant.
- Turn heat to low and add cashew cream, coconut aminos, and pasta water. Stir to combine until slightly thick. If it gets too thick thin out with a little water not too much though or it will dilute flavors.
- Finish with some finely chopped parsley. Taste and add seasoning for best flavor.
- Gently stir in al dente cooked pasta and simmer in sauce for 1-2 minutes.
- Plate and top with more parsley.