Perfectly Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Casserole
@thesaltycooker whipped up this delicious make ahead Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Casserole. Perfect for heating up on busy mornings, or making ahead for a brunch with friends.Danielle Cochran from
Hashin’ it out
Aw the Hashbrown, where did it come from? Who was the first to shred some potatoes and fry them up for Breakfast? The world may never know but we can credit the Swiss with one of the earliest types of Hash dish. Rösti is a potato dish where they’re sautéed or shallow-fried until Crispy. A majority of the swiss consider it to be the national dish, and it’s not regulated to just breakfast or any meal. Rösti is often a side dish and can be found in most Swiss restaurants. The main difference between American Hashbrowns and Rösti is that American are finely chopped potatoes that are fried until brown. While Rösti can be dated back to 1598, Hashbrowns started appearing on Breakfast menus around the 1890s in New York City.
They weren’t always hashbrowns, the etymology of how we got to just Hashbrowns is a little fuzzy but early renditions were called anything from Brown Hashed Potatoes to Potatoes hashed brown. Not nearly as catchy, but very obvious to see how we got to just Hashbrown.
No matter the history, this Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Casserole is a delight to make and dig into, so give it a go today!
Special thanks to Danielle Cochran from The Salty Cooker for this great recipe. You can check them out at their instagram, tiktok, or website.
- 2 1/2 tsp Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- 15oz frozen shredded hash browns
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream, I used a DF
- 8oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1lb of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8oz of ham, chopped (I used a ham steak)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 7×10 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs, sour cream and Dan-O’s seasoning. Mix until smooth. Add the hash browns, cheese, bell pepper, cooked bacon and ham to the baking dish.
- Mix and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake for 45-1hr. The center should be set.
- Remove and enjoy!