Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Cheddar soup
You cheddah check out this Dan-tastic broccoli cheddar soup! This is a great soup to make in the spring with its simultaneously filling but light fare. A real perk of this soup is how fast it comes together, in about 30 minutes you can have a mouthwatering soup that will serve a family with no issues! Add some bread to the mixture, or better yet, a bread bowl and you’ve got a broccoli cheddar soup that you’ll want to make time and time again.
What inspired broccoli cheddar soup?
In the 90s, Campbell’s soup introduced its most successful soup in 55 years: condensed cream of broccoli. Largely in part to their genius marketing campaign “Get President George Bush to Eat Broccoli ” recipe contest. For those the uninitiated, the 41st President of the United States, George H.W. Bush frequently mentioned his distaste for broccoli. It was a bit of a gag, and a bit of a controversy throughout his presidency. Campbell capitalized on it with the aforementioned contest with the winner getting $7,500, which was roughly about $15,000 in 2021.
Of course, many of the entries for the contest were broccoli cheddar soup. Its hard to explain how big broccoli was in America in the 80s and 90s, consumption of it skyrocketed back then. That just meant that everyone had a preferred recipe for downing the green stuff. In the end, the winner was not a broccoli cheddar soup recipe. The winner ended up being Priscilla Yee, an accountant from Concord, California. As far as I know, her recipe doesn’t have a name but it was a combination of cream of broccoli soup, mayonnaise, green onion, and lemon juice.
- ½ stick of butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ a yellow onion
- 1 head of broccoli
- ½ cup shredded mild cheddar
- 4 oz Irish cheddar cheese
- Dan-O’s Original
- In a large pot add butter and onions, cook for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in flour and and then add whipping cream while constantly stirring
- Add chicken stock and bring back to a boil. Add more or less than a cup depending on desired consistency then reduce to a simmer.
- Chop broccoli and add to the pot and then add mild cheddar cheese, Irish cheddar cheese and Dan-O’s, stir together.
- Remove from heat and serve
- Top with cheddar cheese and Dan-O’s Crunchy topping.