We all know black bean burgers are a thing. And they’re definitely one of my go tos. When I opened my cabinet looking for black beans instead found white beans, I started thinking about doing this recipe! The result was a spicy, meat-free burger that was reminding of white bean soup! They’re also packed with veggies and flavor (thanks Dan-O’s) and super easy to make!
So my goal for this white bean burger recipe was to have something like white bean soup with jalapeño cheddar cornbread all in one. I planned to maybe make some cornbread buns, but I got lazy so maybe next time. I originally planned to make a creamy honey sauce, but I went a more burgery route with easy honey mustard and it was actually perfect!
This white bean burger recipe is as tasty as any black bean burger, but gives a richer, more butter flavor than your black beans do. It’s just as easy but is definitely unique. And like my black bean burger recipe, follow my instructions and you’ll have mush-free burgers every time!
Serve with your choice of veggie or fries. Enjoy!
- Can of southern (or northern) white beans
- ⅓ of an onion (diced)
- 1 ½ jalapenos (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup of kale (diced)
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1 egg
- Bacon for topping (optional)
- Lettuce (or kale) for topping
- Cheddar cheese for topping
- Choice of buns
- Equal parts dijon mustard and honey (about 2 tbsp each)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain can of beans most of the way, and spread out over foil on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes until the beans start to dry up.
- While beans are cooking, dice up your jalapeno, onion, kale, and garlic. Sautee in a pan over medium for 3-4 minutes until they soften up.
- Remove beans from oven and add to a bowl and add in sauteed veggies. Mix in egg, Dan-O’s Seasoning, and bread crumbs. Mash the beans until they are a pastey and stir in all ingredients. Form into patties (2-3)
- Cook your burgers on a well-oiled baking sheet for about 20 minutes (filliping halfway). Melt cheese over burgers for the last few minutes.
- While your burgers cook, mix equal parts honey and dijon mustard for your sauce.
- Dress your burgers with veggies of your choice (and optional bacon) and drizzle on sauce.