One of the perfect set-it-and-forget-it recipes! It only takes about 5 minutes for an early prep, and you have a flavor-packed dinner about 6 hours later. This slow cooker drunken chicken recipe also has so much flavor, you’ll be surprised you’re in Kentucky and not Louisiana. And spicy Dan-O’s has that spice and blend profile that’s perfect for the style.
And speaking of Kentucky and Louisiana (not to be confused with Kentuckiana), this recipe is also inspired by J-Gumbo’s, a restaurant out of Louisville KY that makes fast-casual creole eats. And while I haven’t cracked their code, my drunken chicken recipe is great in a pinch when you have the ingredients or are a few bucks short of getting takeout. Also, check out this sriracha slower cooker chicken recipe if you’re interested in another J-Gumbo’s inspired recipe!
I have done this recipe with beer, but I have honestly made some bad beer choices doing this recipe that haunt me to this day. So I use bourbon and chicken broth as my liquid. You totally can replace the bourbon and chicken broth with a beer, but please don’t use an IPA, strong ale, or a sour or you’ll have regretties like me! If you find the perfect beer for it, please share.
I always make this recipe in my mini crockpot for myself, but there’s usually enough to feed an extra person or two. If you have a larger family, simply double the recipe and use a larger crockpot. If you use thawed chicken instead of frozen, remove 2 hours from the cooking time. You can also use bone-in chicken (like chicken thighs) and remove the bones and skin later. Honestly, I just use what I have because this recipe BE LIKE THAT.
Add more cayenne pepper for more heat, or add some brown sugar for less heat. Serve over rice with a side of garlic bread, or use to make tacos, Po-Boys, or nachos. Enjoy!
- 1.5 lbs frozen chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ can of Ro-Tel
- 1 can of chicken stock
- 1 hefty shot of bourbon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ stick of butter
- Add frozen chicken breasts to the bottom of the crockpot. Add in all over ingredients (EXCEPT FLOUR AND BUTTER) then pour chicken broth over until the chicken is fully submerged in liquid. Mix spices together.
- Let chicken and all other ingredients cook on high for 3-4 hours. Let the liquid some to a boil to cook off the alcohol. Afterward, turn down to low and let cook for another hour.
- Carefully remove chicken from the liquid and set on a plate. Once cooled, shred with two forks.
- Make a roux by slowly heating your quarter stick of butter and whisking in 2 tbs of flour until it starts to brown. Remove roux from heat and mix into liquid mixture in the crockpot.
- Add shredded chicken back to the crockpot and let it cook on low for another 30 mins to an hour.
- Cook rice and garlic bread or prepare whatever you plan to eat your chicken on.
- Serve over rice, tacos, burritos, nachos or sandwiches. Enoy!