Skip the drive-thru, and head straight to the kitchen to make this banging Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap! This is a new riff on a fast food classic, and lord does it exceed expectations. The perfect level of heat with savory meat and crunchy Doritos to give it some funky fresh flavor. One bite of this Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap and you’ll never want a normal crunchwrap again.
Quite the pickle
Part of what separates this Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap from the standard one you’d get at Taco bell is that we use pickled jalapenos. For these jalapenos, we used the brining method but let’s discuss the differences between pickling methods. When you’re pickling something you have two options, Vinegar brine or Natural Fermentation. Vinegar brine is a basic mixture of vinegar, water, and salt that creates the brine so that the food can be pickled. There’s a variety of methods involving brining but the main thing is that brined foods are not considered fermented.
Natural fermentation is for foods with a high water content, pickling can be achieved by salting the produce to draw out the water and thus create the brine that way. It’s more commonly used for making foods like sauerkraut, and is referred to as wild fermentation. These often create healthy probiotics and other beneficial live bacteria.
You can achieve results with a vinegar brine within 48 hours but the longer you let the magic happen, the better the results. We think you can get the best results within about a week of this method. But if you’re in a rush to make this Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap then just make these jalapenos 48 hours in advance, and you’re golden.
Folding your Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap
The hardest part for me when making a crunchwrap is always folding it. In theory, it’s simple but there’s some nuance to it. Start by laying your large tortilla and filling it up with the innards, then take and fold the top down to the center. Now take the top right corner, and fold into the center. Work your way around the edges, folding into the center until you’ve made all the way around the edges. Take the folded crunchwrap and lay seam down into a hot pan and sear it to secure it. Congratulations, you’ve made the perfect Flaming Jalapeno Crunchwrap!
- 2lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 2 tbsp Spicy Dan-O’s
- 2 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 tbsp Ranch sauce
- 2 – 10” tortillas
- 2 – 6” tortillas
Pickled Jalapenos Ingredients:
- 6 jalapenos
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 handful of Doritos (Your choice. We used Cool Ranch)
Pickled Jalapenos Steps:
- Slice 6 jalapenos and place in mason jar
- In a pot add 3 cups of water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and bring to a boil
- Carefully pour mixture in mason jar with jalapenos
- Tighten lid and refrigerate for 48 hours
Cooking the burger:
- In a bowl mix ground beef and Spicy Dan-O’s
- Separate beef into two patties (or balls)
- Place patties on griddle and sprinkle with Dan-O’s
- Cook one side for 2 ½ minutes
- Flip and cook additional 2 ½ minutes
- Sprinkle other side with more Dan-O’s and four jalapeno slices
- Top with ranch sauce, cheese, and bacon
Building the crunch wrap:
- Top a 10” tortilla with one slice of pepper jack cheese and 1 tbsp ranch sauce
- Add handful of crunched Doritos and top with cooked burger
- Cover with a 6” tortilla and wrap the 10” tortilla over the top.
- Heat a skillet with oil and place crunch wrap top down to sear the folds together
- After two minutes, flip the tortilla and brown the other side. Enjoy!