The Classic Ground Beef Tacos Recipe You’ve Been Looking For
This recipe makes some crispy and healthy toasted taco shells loaded with freshly made tomato salsa and well spiced ground beef, topped with creamy guacamole and savory cheese. These Ground Beef Tacos will be your perfect meal for lunch or dinner!
My pro tip is to magically turn soft taco shells crunchy – by using a toaster! Simply fold a tortilla into half and pop the tortilla into the toaster like a slice of bread. Make sure your tortilla is not significantly larger than your toaster slots. I used 6 inch tortillas. They fit in my toaster perfectly.
For Hard Shell Tacos
Toast them for 4 minutes (time might vary), then you will have some perfectly warm and crunchy taco shells in return without having to deep fry them!
For Soft Shell Tacos
Surround 4 tortillas in a damp kitchen towel and microwave for 45 seconds (or just 1 tortilla for 20 seconds) – they will turn soft and flexible.
You do not need to do this extra step if you buy the extra soft wheat tortillas.
16 corn/wheat tortillas
For making tomato salsa
- 500 g tomatoes
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- ¼ sweet onion or red onion
- ½ cup cilantros
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
For making grounded beef filling
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb 80/20 grounded beef
- ¾ sweet onion or red onion
- 3 tbsp Dan-O’s Hot Chipotle Seasoning (Or use 1 tbsp chipotle pepper powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika,1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp parsley powder as a substitute)
Other optional toppings
- Sour Cream
- Cheese of your choice
Make Tomato Salsa
- Cut the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise, use a small knife or a spoon to scrape out the membrane and seeds. Finely dice the tomatoes, sweet onion, cilantros, and deseeded jalapeño peppers.
- Place all chopped ingredients in a serving bowl. Add 5 tbsps of lemon juice, ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper. Mix well, cover with a food wrap and set aside. (Freshly made salsa can sit out for up to two hours at room temperature. Or you can store the salsa in the fridge for up to 5 days.)
Warm Up Taco Shells
- Place 3 to 4 tortillas between two slightly dampened kitchen towels.
- Microwave for 30 seconds until soft and warm.
- Optionally spray oil on both sides of each tortilla for a subtle oil taste. (It will also work without oil.)
- Fold each tortilla in half and insert them into a toaster.
- Toast them to your desired crispness. (It took my toaster about 4 minutes. Time might vary.)
- Transfer the toasted tortillas to a plate. Set aside. (They will turn crispier after they cool down. )
Cook Ground Beef Filling
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add 3 tbsps of olive oil. Add the ground beef. Scoop out the excess grease. Pan fry until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Add chopped onions. Pan fry until onions turn soft.
- Add 3 tsbps of Dan-O’s Hot Chipotle Seasoning and mix well.
- Optionally add some salt and pepper to your taste.
Assemble Ground Beef Tacos
- Spread a thin layer of each ingredient into each taco shell in the order you like. The following is my preferred order: lettuce, ground beef, shredded cheese, tomato salsa, guacamole.