The perfect side dish for the holidays!
The holiday season is all about stuffing things, so why not stuff yourself full of this gluten-free stuffing? This is a Dan-tastic stuffing full of all the flavors you associate with the holidays like fresh rubbed sage, fennel, and of course that Yum Yum Get Ya Sum! Dan-O’s Original gives you the perfect taste while being an all natural, low sodium, sugar free seasoning.
Frequently asked questions about gluten-free stuffing
Can I use turkey drippings instead of chicken broth?
Absolutely. The turkey drippings will have a stronger flavor but they’re still going to make an incredible moist stuffing.
Can I add meat to this gluten-free stuffing?
Sure, you can add sausage or turkey giblets to this recipe. Add about half a pound of your browned meat to the mix and toss in it to the stuffing mix before baking.
I can’t have any eggs, do you have egg-free gluten-free bread?
We’ve heard good things about Katz and Schar both make a great gluten-free, and egg-free bread.
I don’t have time to make my own gluten-free bread mix, can I use store bought?
Here’s a couple of gluten-free stuffing mixes you can use if you’re running low on prep time. Trader Joe’s makes a great one, we also like William Sanoma, and Three Bakers too.
What are some good additions to gluten-free stuffing?
We love to add some mushrooms, cranberries, or apples to our stuffing. You can really experiment with choices and get something that works best for your family. ‘
Can I make gluten-free stuffing ahead of time?
Sure, just make it like normal and bake it later. Cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to bake, remove it from the fridge and bake like normal.
Can I freeze my leftovers?
Yep, just store in a freezer bag that’s airtight and throw it in. It keeps for several months. When you’re ready to make it, defrost it in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven at 350 fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or a few minutes in the microwave.
- Cube bread and place on baking sheets
- Sprinkle with Dan-O’s Original
- Bake at 250 F for 30 minutes, flip pieces over and bake until no longer soft
- Chop celery and dice onion
- Add butter, celery, and onions to a skillet and cook over medium heat until soft
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind fennel seeds, sage, and Dan-O’s
- Add garlic to the onions and celery along with the spices from the mortar.
- Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
- Remove bread from the oven and place in a large aluminum baking pan
- Use your hands (with gloves) to carefully mix in the onions, celery, and spice mixture to the bread cubes in the baking pan.
- Add more sage and Dan-O’s to taste
- Slowly add chicken stock to ensure bread doesn’t clump or get too soggy. Continue adding chicken stock until you reach the preferred texture. Considering the gluten-free bread was drier than expected, we used both containers of chicken stock. Your results may vary.
- Place in the oven and bake at 425 F for 35 minutes. Cooking times may vary depending on wetness of stuffing and size of pan.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!