Succulent Feta and Oregano Meatballs
These Greek-inspired Feta and Oregano Meatballs aren’t like traditional meatballs you’re probably used to but they are polý nóstimo! These are so moist and tender thanks to the Greek yogurt, but the seasonings are going to remind you a bit of a fresh and tangy Greek salad. We can’t just have one, and we know after your first bite, you’ll be in the same boat.
It’s all Greek to me
This recipe makes a large batch of these meatballs, which is perfect for when you want to have a traditional Greek dinner. Most Greek dinners are communal social occasions, shared with family and friends. If you’re planning on eating like the Greeks when you make these Feta and Oregano Meatballs then here’s some tips. Every dish is shared and goes in the middle of the table. Salads are a companion piece, never the main course. Everyone is expected to make conversation and be social, it’s a fundamental part of the meal! It’s considered rude to put food on someone’s plate or to refill a glass without them asking.
The Perfect Companion
These Feta and Oregano Meatballs are great on their own but they’re even better with something. Consider adding them to a Greek Salad for a tangy, refreshing treat. Serve Tzatziki Sauce for a mellow companion that helps to balance out the flavors. Try it with Horiatiko Psomi (Village Bread) and the Tzaziki for a Greek Meatball “Sub”. It doesn’t matter how you serve these meatballs, because you’re going to be saying “Opa!” after every bite!
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lemons, 1 zested, 1 thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- Dan-O’s Original Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Start by whisking 1 egg in a large bowl. Then add in 1lb of ground turkey, 1 teaspoon of oregano, ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, 1 minced garlic clove, the zest of 1 lemon, ¼ cup chopped mint leaves, ½ cup of crumbled feta, 2 tablespoon of greek yogurt, ½ cup of breadcrumbs, and some Spicy Dan-O’s. Mix that all up until combined.
- Roll your mixture into about 16 2inch wide meatballs, then place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Around the meatballs, place half of a sliced red onion and one thinly sliced lemon, then sprinkle everything with some Dan-O’s Original.
- Bake for about 18 minutes at 400 degrees, until meatballs are browned and cook through.
- Remove from the oven squeeze the juice from the zested lemon over everything.