Meatballs are one of those recipes that you can do a lot of fancy stuff with, but when they’re simple and done right, they are as good as can be! And this recipe is one of those perfect, classic takes on meatballs. This Classic Italian Meatballs Recipe uses fresh parsley, hot Italian sausage, some high-quality ground beef, and Dan-O’s Seasoning, of course!
So what inspired me to make a classic meatball recipe, is that I realized there are people out there WHO DON’T KNOW HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS. I had friends making pasta recently, who were straight-up rolling unseasoned beef into balls and I don’t even know what they were going to do after that lol. And they had bread crumbs, eggs and a bunch of other ingredients you need to make meatballs at their house. They just needed guidance from an Italian!
So while it’s not a traditional ingredient, Dan-O’s Seasoning is loaded in all the good stuff that you’d typically put in meatballs or pasta sauce. We’re talking garlic, onion, parsley, rosemary, and sea salt. This is a no brainer, and will save you so much time mixing together other ingredients! The only other seasoning I recommend is fresh parsley (if you have it) and about 1 or 1/2 tbs of crushed red pepper depending on how spicy you like your meatballs.
This recipe uses 2 lbs of meat, so you can make these meatballs as large as you want! I usually go for about 2 inches in diameter. You can also make them as spicy as you want… or don’t want. Feel free to omit the crushed red pepper or used mild sausage. And no there’s no fancy lamb or veal in these meatballs. You don’t need that stuff when you have the perfect Italian meatballs recipe right here!
I will not go into making the red sauce, but you should use some Dan-O’s in that too. Personally, I will use some stuff in a jar and throw in some frozen cherry tomatoes and minced garlic, onion, and fresh herbs. Do you though! Straight out the jar is fine because these meatballs are that good. Feel free to add meatballs to your red sauce once it’s simmering, but don’t overcook.
Serve on pasta with red sauce, a side salad, and a side of garlic bread. Enjoy!
- lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbs fresh parsley
- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
- 3 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning
- ½ white onion (finely minced)
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs parmesan cheese
- Finely mince your garlic and onion. Saute in a pan on medium heat with 2 tbs olive oil until translucent and set to the side.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs until yolks are mixed.
- Add both pounds of meat, eggs, parmesan cheese, Dan-O’s, onions, garlic, parsley, pepper flakes, milk, parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs together. Mix together and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, add one scoop of meatball mix to an oiled baking sheet. Carefully roll to form your meatballs. Repeat process until all mix is used.
- Bake meatballs in a preheated oven at 400 degrees until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees (about 20 minutes)
- Remove from sheet, and let finish simmering in your red sauce or serve right away.