Some call em taquitos, some call em rolled tacos – either way, these little cheese and chicken-packed crunch bombs are absolutely delicious! The filling is really easy to make, and these can be frozen if you make a large enough batch! These Chicken & Cheese Taquitos have a little sweet, a little hit, a great seasoning profile, and a lot of crunch.
A lot of folks use flour tortillas for their taquitos recipes because they are easier to work with. My opinion is that if you can get the corn tortillas to work for you, definitely use them. They are much more flavorful and are unbelievably crunchy when fried. You definitely need to go easy on the corn tortillas by not overworking or overloading them, and properly heating them so they’re malleable. Make sure to have a big pack of these, and expect some mess-ups before you get it down.
You could easily make these chicken and cheese taquitos in the oven or an air fryer, but again, deep frying will give you the ultimate crunch and texture. You can use any kind of cheese, but cheddar is always a good go-to. Consider replacing the chicken for beans if you have vegetarians you are serving.
Serve with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!
- 1 lb cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 3 tbs salsa
- ½ small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced (with seeds or without)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pack yellow corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Oil for frying
- 3 tbs Dan-O’s seasoning
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed rep pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of cumin
- Dash of black pepper
- Choice of dipping sauces
- In a skillet, add oil then add onions, jalapenos, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Now add the shredded chicken, salsa, chili powder, salt, red pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and, black pepper. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes and mix until combined. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat up some oil in another skillet. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the filling to the center of each tortilla and spread out. Roll up and set seam side down in oil using tongs. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat until all the tortillas are filled, rolled, and fried.
- Set on paper towels to drain. Enjoy!