Here’s why you should make your own beer cheese. You can use the best seasoning blend on the planet, and you get probably 50x more than you would at a restaurant. Seriously though, don’t you hate it when you order beer cheese somewhere and get a small ramekin of it for 5 or 6 bucks? For around $10, you can have a whole mini crockpot of it!
And let me say, this beer cheese recipe is one of the easiest ones. If you have your crock pot on the keep warm setting, it can last several hours for ongoing dips at a party. Also, I loaded mine up with bacon (optional), which makes adding it to a burger incredible! This beer cheese has a great consistency, a killer flavor from the Dan-O’s, a little twang from the mustard, and a nice beer flavor. And it uses only about 5 ingredients!
As far as the cheese goes, you want to make sure you GRATE YOUR OWN CHEESE. Prepackaged cheese has anti-caking agents in it which prevents it from clumping, but it also prevents it from melting. Also, make sure to soften your cream cheese AND use warm beer. Word to the wise, start with about a tbsp of the stone ground mustard. I found about 2 tbsp was perfect for me, but you can’t take this out once you start.
Add bacon to your Perfect Slow-Cooker Beer Cheese (optional) and serve with pretzel bites. Enjoy!
- 1 lb block sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1 ½ cups warm lager beer
- 1-2 tbsp of quality stone-ground mustard
- Flour (optional)
- Crispy bacon (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 1.5 quart mini crockpot
- Set out your cream cheese at room temperature to soften about an hour before starting everything else. Grate your cheddar cheese and start adding it to the crockpot until all cheese is grated.
- Add your cream cheese, Dan-O’s, half of your mustard, and beer to the crockpot and place the lid on. Cook on high for roughly 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After cheese is fully melted, give it a taste. Add the rest of the mustard (no more than 2 tbsp total) if desired. If cheese is too watery for your liking, sift 1-2 tbsp of flour in slowly and stir in.
- At the 2 hour mark, start cooking your bacon (optional) in the oven. Cook on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until crispy but not burnt. Remove from baking sheet and place on power towel lined plate. Crumble bacon once bacon cools down and set to the side.
- After around 2 ½ hours, use a hand mixer to mix the cheese together, removing any unwanted lumps from the cream cheese. Salt, pepper and Dan-O’s to taste, and then set crockpot on “keep warm”. Add in your optional bacon.
- Let cheese “set” on warm setting for about 30 minutes before serving. Serve with some form of pretzels, like pre-made pretzel bites.