Creamy and Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup
You’ll need a fellowship of your own to help you eat all this loaded cheesy potato soup! This soup is perfect for the winter because it’ll get ya warm and keep ya full. Italian sausage adds some much needed earthiness to these cheesy potatoes that’s balanced out by the robust Dan-O’s Original. This makes a decent size batch of loaded cheesy potato soup making it perfect for families and dinner parties.
Po-ta-to! Boil ‘em, Mash ‘em, Stick ‘em in stew
You may ask yourself what potatoes are best for stew? There are several varieties of potatoes but we can break them down into 3 categories: Starchy, all purpose, and waxy. Starchy potatoes are your russet potatoes, these are high in starch while being low in moisture. They’re great for boiling, mashing and making creamy soups. All purpose potatoes are your yukon golds, these are a happy medium to both starch and moisture. They’re pretty good at keeping their shape, and they can easily be used for just about anything.
Finally you have your waxy potatoes, which are your red. They’re low in scratch, and have a high moisture level. They’re great at keeping their shape, which makes them good for more chunky soups, gratin, or scalloped potatoes. When it comes to this loaded cheesy potato soup, we recommend russet potatoes. They fall apart easily when cooked, and they make for a great creamy texture which makes them perfect for our loaded potato soup.
- 1 lb mild Italian Sausage
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium russet potatoes, chopped
- Dan-O’s Original
- 3 oz aged white cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 oz fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a skillet brown sausage and set aside
- Peel and chop potatoes
- Add diced shallots and garlic paste to a large pot and saute over medium heat
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil
- Add Chopped potatoes and Dan-O’s
- Once potatoes are fork tender, add cheddar and fontina cheese.
- Once cheese melts, add heavy cream and sausage
- If you desire a thicker, creamier soup you can mash the potatoes when you add the cream then add the sausage.
- Simmer for 30 minutes then serve hot with additional cheese if desired