Dan-O’s in curry? Yes, please. Many of the traditional herbs and spices that can be found in curry are also in Dan-O’s. Onion, garlic, parsley, sea salt. And curry doesn’t have a lot of hard rules. We also get to use a midwest fall-time favorite, butternut squash in our recipe! This Dan-O’s butternut squash curry recipe is a tasty time-saver your whole family will love.
I wanted to do a pumpkin curry, but a fun fact… much of the pumpkin you find on the shelves are actually made from varieties of squash. AND, they sell precut butternut squash at my Kroger (hooray for time savers). So in the spirit of fall, I decided to whip up a butternut squash curry with the best seasoning known to man… Dan-O’s Seasoning.
I went with the spicy Dan-O’s because yellow curry doesn’t have a ton of heat. I also like to find a nice sweet heat balance with the coconut, honey, and pepper. My recipe does not include a from-scratch curry sauce, but a store-bought curry sauce or curry paste will save you some time. And we have plenty of ways to church them up!
The veggies I went with are onions, garlic, spinach, and a bit of green bell pepper. For the garnish, I used cilantro, lime, and chopped cashews. These made for a wonderful taste and presentation with some mild heat, garlic, coconut, and real-herb flavors. The additional curry powder and Dan-O’s I used had this dish packed with flavor!
Even some curry purists who came for dinner tonight found this delicious. Serve it up with some naan bread or pita, and rice and you’re eating good! So enjoy this Dan-O’s yellow butternut squash curry recipe.
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1 jar of yellow curry paste or curry sauce
- Yellow curry powder
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- ½ bell pepper of your choice
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb of butternut squash
- 1 can of chickpeas
- Bottle of unsweetened coconut milk
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
- Handful of fresh cilantro (optional)
- Handful of crushed cashews (optional)
- Rice (optional). Preferably jasmine or basmati rice.
- Start your rice (optional).
- Chop down your onion, pepper, garlic, and spinach.
- Add 1 tbs of oil to a pan. Cook onions, peppers, and garlic on medium heat until they soften up (about 5 minutes). Add some Dan-O’s as they cook down.
- Add your squash and drained can of chickpeas to the pan.
- Mix in your curry sauce or paste, and enough coconut milk to ensure the squash is mostly covered.
- Add Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning (at least 2 tbs) and additional yellow curry powder to flavor.
- Add in honey or cayenne pepper until desired sweetness or heat.
- Let simmer about 15 minutes (covered) on medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Add chopped spinach in the last few minutes of cooking until it gently wilts.
- Remove from heat to thicken up. Prepare cilantro, lime, and cashews (all optional).
- Add curry to bowl with rice and optional toppings. Serve with naan bread. Enjoy!