Let's jam with this mouthwatering bacon jam breakfast burger!
It’s breakfast for dinner, or dinner for breakfast, either way it’s time for these bacon jam breakfast burgers! These are a Dan-tastic burger to serve up with the subtle sweetness of bacon jam combined with a runny sunny side up egg and a fatty mouthwatering cut of meat. Oh it’s mouthwatering just to think about taking a bite. The secret is using a quality cut of meat for your ground beef like picanha, and using a quality bourbon. We recommend a bourbon like four roses yellow label, mellow corn, or buffalo trace but Dan went all out and used some Pappy!
We’re not picking on ya, it’s just Picanha!
On the off chance you’re not from Brazil, or another Latin American country, then you’d be forgiven for not knowing what picanha is. In Brazil, Picanha is one of the most prized cuts of meat. It’s a cut of meat that consists of the cow’s biceps femoris muscle, and the respective fat cap. Traditionally prepared by skewering the meat and cooking over charcoal with a very minimal seasoning of just sea salt. The fat is retained throughout the cooking process. However in America, it’s quite different. American butchers often divide this cut into others like the rump, the round, and the lion but you can still request the Picanaha with the fat.
The term Picanha is of unknown origin. It could be derived from picana, which is the pole used by ranchers in the southern regions of Portugal and Spain for herding. In Brazil, the word comes from the gaucho cowboys of the Southern regions where the term Pichanha o bicho (prick the animal) is used in day to day conversation. The region that the cattle are picked is where the picanha cut is located, leading many to believe that this is where the term comes from. It’s also known as the rump cap, or sirloin cap in America if you’re having trouble finding it at your butcher.
- 2 lbs ground beef (Picanha)
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- Dan-O’s Original
- 4 oz maple syrup
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 eggs
- Brioche buns
- 6 slices American cheese
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dice bacon and cook in a skillet until brown, remove
- Keep the bacon grease and add diced onion, Dan-O’s, maple syrup, and bourbon. Cook until reduced
- Add the bacon back into the reduced onions and mix thoroughly.
- Set to the side.
For the burgers
- In a bowl, mix ground beef and Dan-O’s. Make six patties
- Cook patties on a griddle 2 minutes both sides, and top with American cheese
- Cook 6 eggs sunny side up
- Brown buns and add burger patties to the bottom, top with bacon jam and fried egg
- Top with bun and enjoy!