I now refer to this dish as Kentucky Tzatziki. This cucumber and cheese dip is another Louisville KY classic (just like Dan-O’s) and is here in time for Derby. This dish only uses 4 ingredients, is inexpensive, and is incredibly delicious. Bonus points when it’s later in the summer and you’re growing your own cucumber and green onions 😉
So, all this recipe consists of is shredded and dehydrated cucumber, grated onion (or green onion), cream cheese, and cream. Traditionally, you would use salt and pepper, and maybe a few dried herbs, but we have Dan-O’s to season this up good and proper. Most benedictine recipes call for a green additive (sometimes food dye), but of course our trusty green seasoning will have you covered!
This dish goes great with pumpernickel party bread, but is also very good with carrots or celery if you are avoiding carbs. If you can’t find the party bread… like I couldn’t last time, party crackers will do. I find that the rosemary entertainment crackers go really well with the dip. Also, you can do this in a food processor if you want something smooth and creamy, but I like the chunks.
The main thing you want to make sure of here is really getting the water out of your cucumber. I do this by scooping out the seeds and pulpy part, grating (using the big holes in a grater) and then squeezing the hell out of them with a towel until you can’t get any more water out. The onion you can simply cut in half and leave uncovered in the fridge for a day or so until it dries.
Serve with crackers, party bread, or veggies at your next party. Enjoy!
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 3 tbsp of sour cream
- 1 English cucumber peeled, shredded, and dehydrated
- 1 tbsp of grated onion or equal amount green onion
- 3 tsp Dan-O’s Original Seasoning
- Fresh parsley or dill for topping (optional)
- Leave your cream cheese out at room temp for a few hours to soften.
- Peel and grate your cucumber with large holes of a cheese grater. Strain cucumber in a kitchen towel until you can’t get any more water out. Place on a plate, and then grate your onion.
- Combine cucumber, cream cheese, onion, Dan-O’s, and sour cream into a bowl and mix together. Salt to taste.
- Top with fresh parsley or dill.