So it’s a little hard to make biscuits and gravy look great in picture form. But once you see them and smell them in person, you know you’re in for a treat! This here is a traditional southern biscuit and gravy recipe where everything is made from scratch. And if you haven’t had Dan-O’s seasoned biscuits and gravy, you haven’t lived!
I got the idea for this recipe from my buddy Nate who hooked me up with the venison. He mentioned to me that his late grandfather used to always make deer meat biscuits and gravy, so I thought I’d give them a go! He also mentioned that his grandpa would use straight deer meat, but if you’re not a fan of gamey meat, you should cut it with sausage like I do.
For the biscuits, I like to make traditional drop biscuits. They’re SO easy and absolutely delicious. And once you get used to making them, only take about 5 or 10 minutes of prep time. You do want to make your biscuits homemade or you WILL miss out on a lot of flavor.
Serve Venison & Pork Sausage Biscuits & Gravy with all your breakfast favorites. Enjoy!
- ¼ lb ground breakfast sausage
- ¼ lb ground venison
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 stick frozen butter
- 2+ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Dan-O’s Original Seasoning
- Soak your ground venison in buttermilk overnight. When you’re ready to cook, drain out buttermilk and rinse off meat. Place stick of butter in freezer.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Make your biscuits. Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and about 2 tbsp of Dan-O’s Seasoning to a bowl. With a cheese grater, grate in your stick of frozen butter and add your buttermilk. Mix everything together, and then using an ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of batter and arrange in a 2-inch cast iron pan, leaving about an inch and a half of space between each. Pop them in the oven. Allow biscuits to cook for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- In a medium-heated pan, add in your venison and your sausage. Season each generously with Dan-O’s Seasoning and cook until done. Drain grease (save the grease!) and move cooked meat to a separate plate.
- Make the gravy. Add the grease back to the pan, turn it on low, and mix in 3 tbsp flour. Mix the flour and grease together until a roux forms and slowly mix in milk. Turn up the heat until the mixture starts bubbling, then turn back down to medium low. Stir your gravy mixture until it reduces and thickens (about 10 minutes). Add in plenty of black pepper, salt, and spicy Dan-O’s to taste. Once gravy is at desired consistency, add your venison and sausage back in. Turn the heat to low and cover until ready to serve.
- Cut biscuits in half and spoon over gravy when you’re ready to serve. Pair with your breakfast favorites. Enjoy!