Whether you like it or not, no holiday meal is complete without a side of stuffing. And if you don’t like it, odds are you haven’t used this awesome homemade stuffing recipe, which tastes 100 times better than the stuff out of the box! All you need is some bread, some traditional holiday veggies (celery, onion, garlic), and Dan-O’s Seasoning!
Okay, well you need broth and butter, too. But I consider those kitchen essentials in the south. A lot of recipes also call for poultry seasoning because of its use of green herbs. The good thing is, if you don’t have poultry seasoning, Dan-O’s Seasoning has salt, rosemary, parsley, onion, garlic, and citrus to make a perfect flavor profile in the stuffing. The spicy Dan-O’s can give it a nice kick too!
I was not cooking for a crowd this time, so this homemade stuffing recipe was made for about 4 people. You can easily double this recipe for a larger crowd! And I promise, cutting your own bread is very satisfying. And my neighbor lady (a 60-year-old southern woman) said it was some of the best stuffing she had! Woo.
Serve this homemade stuffing with turkey or ham, a dinner roll, and all the awesome holiday sides you have prepared. Enjoy!
- ½ of an onion (diced)
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning (regular or spicy)
- 1 tbs poultry seasoning
- 1 tbs fresh parsley or rosemary (optional)
- 4 cups of dried bread crumbs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make your bread squares by slicing 5 stacked slices of bread longways, making ½ inch cuts all the way across. Turn bread 90 degrees, and repeat the process the other way (making a tic tac toe type cut) across the bread. Separate the bread cubes and place them on a baking sheet or some plates to dry out. Allow the bread 24-48 hours on the counter to dry out.
- Dice up half an onion, garlic, 2 stalks of celery, and optional parsley or rosemary. Set to side.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a pan, and add celery, onion, and garlic to the butter. Saute for about 10 minutes on medium heat until the veggies are softened. Mix in about 1 tbs Dan-O’s seasoning before taking off heat.
- Pour the veggie and butter mix over dried bread crumbs at the bottom of a pyrex dish. Mix together. Add poultry seasoning and other tbs of Dan-O’s Seasoning while mixing.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth over the stuffing mix and mix together until bread crumbs are damp. Do not let it get “soaked” or mushy.
- Place covered to bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Uncover, and then let cook for a remaining 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let cool down roughly 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!