When I was thinking of making a 7-layer salad recipe this year, I realized I could use 7 layers of Dan-O’s Seasoning and it would be completely delicious and epic. And that’s what I did! This was the best 7-layer salad I ever tasted, and the old church ladies and whichever aunt of mine that used to make it probably should make me a trophy.
This salad uses a bunch of the traditional veggies you would have during the holidays and makes them into a unified piece of deliciousness. Mine has celery, peas, romaine lettuce, bacon, parm cheese, red onion, and dressing. A lot of recipes call for eggs, but not mine! The dressing is a combination of mayo, sour cream, and sugar. It might sound weird, but don’t knock it until you try it.
I made the bacon a day early. This recipe uses slightly crisper bacon, and I highly recommend making it in the oven and chopping it the day before. You can definitely use whatever cheese you’d like here, but I have found parmesan is perfect and needs nothing else. And seriously, I used 7 layers of Dan-O’s and it was INSANELY GOOD. That’s 7 layers of real herbs and spices that tied the whole thing together.
My old southern neighbor said my 7-layer salad was her husband’s favorite thing out of the plate I brought over to them. So I hope your neighbors and family feel the same way! This stuff is incredible. Also, get a nice clear glass container for this because it can look real purty if done right. I realized I didn’t have one at the last minute so enjoy my plastic.
- 10 oz bag of romaine lettuce
- 3 stalks of celery (diced)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ lb cooked bacon (chopped)
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbs sugar
- Bottle of Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Chop up romaine lettuce and place at bottom of the bowl. Shake Dan-O’s Seasoning over top.
- Chop up celery and make a layer on top of lettuce. Sprinkle some Dan-O’s over top of the celery.
- Chop your red onion and repeat the Dan-O’s and layering process.
- Add your peas and continue the Dan-O’s and layering process.
- Make your dressing by mixing ½ cup of mayo and ½ cup of sour cream together. Mix in 1 tbs of sugar and about 1 tbs of Dan-O’s Seasoning. Spread overtop of the peas.
- Add a hefty coating of parmesan cheese over top of dressing for the 6th layer. Add the Dan-O’s.
- Add the bacon to the top layer, and again… season!
- Place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours before serving, but let chill for at least 2.
- Mix together or serve layered up. Enjoy!