Have you ever made something SO GOOD, that you couldn’t believe it was something you made? That was my experience with this homemade fried green tomato BLT recipe I whipped up. It also features an easy homemade creole mustard that was spicy, flavorful, and packed full of the best herb and spice blend known to man… Cough cough, Dan-O’s Seasoning!
Your standard fried green tomato recipes will usually feature cornmeal for the breading. In mine, I used panko bread crumbs and they were perfect and had a great crust. I added some Dan-O’s Seasoning… a lot of it to my flour when I dredged the tomato slices, and it may have been the difference-maker in all the other ones I tried. These were THE BEST.
Honestly, I don’t know if these were super unripe tomatoes or actual green tomatoes, but it’s what they had at my grocery. The tomatoes were really firm but came out perfect once fried. I was completely surprised! Add some Dan-O’s to your bacon for an extra surprise. Really, it was in everything but my bread and lettuce 😉
This creole mustard recipe uses only a few household ingredients: dijon mustard (I went with stone-ground mustard), some tabasco, some Worcestershire (woo sauce), and Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning. If it comes out too hot for you, add a little honey. Or do this anyway because the creole mustard was perfect!
Don’t forget to pan grill your bread! To prevent making a mess, you can grill yours in advance before building your sandwich. I served this with chips, and was happy as can be. If it’s green tomato season, make this, do this… you’ve earned it. Or find some indoor ones. This is the best fried green tomato recipe you’ll find!
- Thick cut bacon (about 4 slices per 2 sandwich)
- 1-3 green tomatoes depending on size
- Panko bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- Bread of your choice
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire (woo sauce)
- ¾ Cups Dijon or stone brown mustard
- 2 tsp Tobasco sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- Shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Make your mustard: mix woo sauce, mustard, tabasco, and 2-3 tbs of Spicy Dan-O’s together. Add honey for a little sweetness if desired.
- Slice your tomatoes longways to desired thickness.
- Start heating your oil to about 325 degrees.
- Cook your bacon however you like (I used the microwave).
- Beat 3 eggs, add flour to a separate bowl for dredging, and add bread crumbs to another bowl.
- Mix Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning in with your flour for dredging (equal parts).
- Dredge your tomato slices with flour, dip in egg wash (both sides), and then coat with the panko bread crumbs. Shake off loose breadcrumbs.
- Let tomatoes sit for 3-4 minutes before adding to oil.
- Fry tomatoes for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Toast your bread and build your sandwich as desired. Enjoy!