Nothing says southern eatin’ like fried chicken or chicken salad! This recipe combines these two southern staples into a flavor-packed sandwich with all the bells and whistles. You’ll never look at plain ole chicken salad again once you’ve had this fried chicken salad and all the flavor that it brings.
First off, nothing upsets me more than what half of the plebs in the US consider chicken salad. When you order a chicken salad and it’s just mayo and diced up chicken… maybe a piece of sad celery or two on white bread. Heck naw! Chicken salad is an art, and when done right has layers of flavors and texture that makes southern bells ring and sweet tea pour. You need celery, you need red onion, and pickles, and good seasoning, And sometimes even fried chicken! Rant over.
You don’t have to go out of your way to fry chicken for this recipe. Most of the time I make it with leftover fried chicken, or some fried chicken I find on sale at the grocery. This time I used chicken tenders. You’ll notice in other chicken salad recipes that they’ll call for salt, and pepper, and like 5 different seasonings or herbs. With Dan-O’s, you don’t have to worry about that! All-in-one baby. Except I did use some fresh parsley.
So if you REALLY want to go southern, replace the sour cream with buttermilk. I personally do not like how buttermilk holds up in the fridge, so I go with sour cream. Of course you need some mayo in any southern recipe. Get some fancy croissants, or use some quality bread when you make your sammy. Also, I never buy premade relish (yuck). Get you some local spicy-sweet pickles, like the Famous Daves pickles I scooped up for this.
And there you have it. The best southern fried chicken salad recipe you can find! The search is over. Serve with chips and a glass of tea. Enjoy!
- Croissants or choice of bread
- Roughly 1 lb of chopped chicken tenders or deboned fried chicken
- 3 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 3 tbs freshly made relish
- 2 tbs fresh parsley (optional)
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbs stone-ground mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 stalks of celery (diced)
- ½ of a red onion (diced)
- Dice up 6 or 7 pickle slices for relish and set to side. Dice up your optional parsley and set to side as well.
- Make your dressing by mixing together ½ cup of sour cream, ½ cup mayo, 3 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning, relish, mustard, parsley and juice of half a lemon. Place in fridge.
- Dice up onion and celery to desired size and add to a large bowl.
- Debone (if using bone-in chicken) and dice fried chicken into about quarter-inch cubes and mix in with celery and onion.
- Mix dressing in with the chicken, celery, and onion.
- Serve on croissants or choice of bread and fixings. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.