A viral sensation
Who would have thought anything involving an accordion would be popular? These accordion potatoes are a viral sensation on tiktok and for good reason. Who doesn’t love crispy potatoes coated in that Yum Yum Get Ya Sum and the texture of a waffle fry? Accordion potatoes seem intimidating to make but they’re actually quite easy but that won’t stop you from impressing your guests when you serve them some!
Accordion potatoes went viral on tiktok in 2021 and they’ve remained a popular tiktok recipe since. Part of the reason it’s such a successful trend is because of not only how eyecatching they are but how tasty they are too. There’s some slight variations in style, some people like to put them on a skewer and spread them out like DNA, while others just pull them longwise to really show off the natural beauty. No matter how you decide to serve your accordion potatoes, you’ll have to make sure to take a video and put it on tiktok!
What you’ll need for these accordion potato skewers
- Russet Potatoes: These are all the swiss army knives of potatoes but you can also use Yukon Gold or sweet potatoes.
- Dan-O’s OG butter mixture: This is where most of the flavor is going to come from. You can swap out the butter for olive oil, or vegan butter as well or you could try Dan-O’s Spicy instead of original.
- Skewers: These help for cutting the potatoes into the accordion pattern and also for serving as you can skewer the results when you’re finished cutting the design.
Steps for cutting accordion potatoes
Step 1: Peel the potatoes and then cut lengthwise into ¼ to ⅜ inch slices.
Step 2: Place the potato horizontally, then place skewers on both sides of the potato. Use the skewers as a base so you don’t cut all the way through and cut vertical lines. Keep the lines close to each other so you make the actual accordion shape.
Step 3: Flip the potato, and repeat the process with diagonal lines this time then you’re ready to follow the rest of the recipe. It’s that easy!
- Chop the sides off the potatoes to form a rectangle and slice into ½: sections
- Place between two skewers and cut diagonal slits on one side
- Flip over and cut slits on the other side
- Soak potatoes in a bowl of water to remove starch taste
- Melt butter in a bowl and add paprika, and Dan-O’s Original
- Pad dry the potatoes and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Brush the potatoes with butter mixture and bake 400 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.