The perfect smoked shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches. These sandwiches are well-rounded with a spicy-sweet BBQ sauce, briney pickles, and a rich homemade slaw. And, of course, have just the right amount of smoke! This is an easy recipe for any level of BBQer or smoker and is as good as one you’ll find in most smokehouses.
For the chicken, I went with chicken leg quarters. They are super cheap and are essentially a chicken thigh attached to a drum. You can use bone-in-breasts, whole chickens, or thighs, but I do not recommend using white meat. Make sure to dry your chicken and season it well with spicy Dan-O’s before adding to your smoker!
I did these on my offset smoker with apple wood. Usually, the quarters take about 2 hours at 250-275 degrees to get to temp. The ideal internal temperature here is around 175 degrees, which will let the fat render better than 165 while still being juicy. Once you pull the chicken, let it rest about 30 minutes before shredding.
For the slaw, I like to just buy bags of premade slaw and make my own dressing. This is the best way to make your slaw, because you can customize it to what you’re cooking. Here I have briney pickles, sweet BBQ sauce, and smokey meat, so something fatty and herbaceous was the move. For the sauce, I just used Sweet Baby Ray’s. No need to complicate things.
Make sandwiches with bun, pickles, chicken, BBQ sauce, and then slaw. Serve with chips and side of choice. Enjoy!
For the chicken
- 1 Large chicken leg quarter per 2 sandwiches
- Dan-O’s Seasoning
For the slaw
- 1 bag premade slaw mix (saves time)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Dan-O’s Original
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
For the sandwiches
- Spicy sweet pickles
- Sweet BBQ sauce
- Buns of choice
- Set up your smoker. Dry your chicken quarters with a paper towel and season with spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning. Smoke at 250-275 for about 2 hours until reaching 175 degrees internal.
- While chicken smokes, make your slaw. Mix in all your slaw ingredients into a bowl and cover. Set in the fridge.
- Once chicken gets to desired internal temp, remove from smoker. Allow to rest for 30 minutes. Toast your buns and set to side.
- To shred chicken, pull meaty pieces from leg and thighs and discard bone, skin, and fatty pieces. Shred meaty pieces of chicken into strands in large bowl and sprinkle in some Dan-O’s
- Make sandwiches by putting down pickles, chicken, sweet BBQ sauce, and slaw.