Healthy Quinoa Salad
Toss up your salad game with this vegan and gluten-free Quinoa Salad! This salad is a powerhouse of filling and being heart-healthy. Full of fiber that helps with cholesterol and blood sugar levels, this quinoa salad is a great choice for those trying to be more health conscious without sacrifcing flavor.
Your Food Benefits Plan
As we said, quinoa is full of fiber that helps with cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It’s also great for preventing constipation and can help lower your risk of intestinal cancers. Some say because of the high fiber content, it helps you feel full longer which could help with weight loss but that can vary from person to person. Quinoa is also rich in antioxidants, which help prevent damage to your heart and other organs and help prevent heart disease.
Quinoa contains plenty of anti-inflammatory plant compounds which can help with arthritis! Quinoa is also gluten-free, making it a great choice for people with gluten intolerance. Another bonus is that quinoa is a great source of protein for everyone, especially vegetarians and vegans. There are 8 grams per cooked cup.
How to cook Quinoa
You can cook quinoa just like rice. Rinse your quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse under cold water. Rinsing removes the natural Saponin coating of Quinoa. Saponin can cause quinoa to taste soapy or bitter, so it’s important to rinse. For every 1 cup of quinoa, use 2 cups of liquid like water or broth, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Let it cook for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered, then remove the lid and fluff with a fork!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots diced
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 16-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- Lemon juice
- Dan-O’s Original
- Start by combining ¼ cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 2 diced shallots, ½ teaspoon of maple syrup, and some Dan-O’s Original in a small bowl. Then whisk and let sit. This will be the dressing.
- Next, in a bowl, combine 1 cup of cooked quinoa, 1 16oz can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, and 1 cup of chopped kalamata olives. Then add the dressing and toss. When you serve, squeeze some lemon juice on top and enjoy!