Hearty & healthy quinoa salad bowl!
The super bowl isn’t the only big bowl in town with this quinoa salad bowl! This is a great vegan recipe that makes the most out of fresh grains and vegetables with a mouthwatering dressing made and topped with that Yum Yum Get Ya Sum! Even if you’re not vegan, this is a great salad bowl to keep you full longer with some incredible health benefits.
Foods with Benefits
This quinoa salad bowl is packed full of nutrients. Quinoa itself is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory plant compounds: quercetin and kaempferol. While also being incredibly rich in fiber and protein compared to other grains which can lead to feelings of fullness, and help you control portion sizes. Add this with heart healthy lentils & nutrient rich barley then you have one super salad bowl!
How to cook your grains
Like rice, you can cook most grains on a stove top and or rice cooker. The general rule of thumb is that for every cup of grain that you use 2 cups of liquid like water or broth. Bringing it to a bowl then reducing the heat to a low simmer and covering with a lid. Cook for about 15 minutes per cup before removing from heat and letting stand for 5 minutes covered. You then remove the lid and fluff a fork.
Now we used water for this recipe, but you could easily use any form of broth to cook these grains. Broths in particular are rich in vitamins and minerals but they’ll also impart those rich flavors into the grains. If you’re looking to mix up your quinoa salad bowl, then we recommend trying your favorite broth!
- Throw the quinoa in a strainer and rinse until water runs clear
- Put the quinoa in a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 15-30 minutes.
- Repeat the same with lentils and barley.
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, barley, and lentils.
- Coarsely chop together cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, and kale.
- Add vegetable mixture to the quinoa mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix together Dijon mustard, sunflower/coconut oil, red wine vinegar, and Dan-O’s before thoroughly tossing it in with the quinoa mixture.
- Top with Dan-O’s Crunchy.
- Serve and enjoy!