Usually, when I make pizza, I usually put in much more effort. The goal was to see if Dan-O’s could save this easy, low-effort pizza recipe! If you’re on TikTik, a trend was going around recently where people were making pizzas upside-down. I don’t really get it, but decided to go for it anyway! So let’s see how this upside down TikTok pizza turned out.
So first off, every ingredient I used, I added a layer of Dan-O’s. Most of my effort went into chopping my veggies and making the dough (from a box). Then I used pepperoni, a blend of white cheese, and some marinara in a jar. That’s pretty much all you need, but you can add sausage or mushrooms if you’d like.
While your dough rises, you roast your veggies (if you want them cooked)… and grease your cast iron skillet. I used a 12 inch skillet and it worked fine. I even did a layer of Dan-O’s on the bottom before I put on the pepperonis. Then as I built my pizza in reverse, added a layer of Dan-O’s in every step.
So did Dan-O’s save this low-quality pizza? You betcha. It was a hit amongst my friends and I enjoyed it quite a bit myself. BUT, when I flipped the pizza, it was a little soggy and the peps weren’t as cooked as I wanted. So, I finished it in the oven normally for about 10 minutes to run off some of the grease and crisp up the pepperonis. So was this a true upside down pizza? You tell me.
Serve Low-Effort Upside Down Tik Tok Pizza with nothing. Or maybe a salad. Enjoy!
- 1 box or bag of premade pizza crust
- 5-6 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese and with parmesan mixed in
- About ½ cup of pizza sauce or marinara
- Lots of Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1 small green pepper cut in strips
- ½ small yellow onion cut in strips
- Red pepper flakes
- 12 or 14 inch cast iron skillet
- Start by making your dough per the instructions on the box or bag. Add in a few pops of Dan-O’s Seasoning to the dough mixture. Set to the side and allow it to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut up your onion and green pepper, then add them to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on some Dan-O’s. Roast the veggies for about 10 minutes until they start to soften.
- Oil up your 12 inch cast iron skillet. Place pepperonis at the bottom of the skillet in a circle, then add on the veggies. From there, add in your cheese and then your sauce. Add a layer of Dan-O’s on each ingredient for maximum flavor!
- Knead your dough and roll it out into about a 12 inch round. Place it over top of the pizza sauce, covering all the other ingredients. Brush on some olive oil and give the crust a light dusting of Dan-O’s.
- Bake pizza for about 22 minutes until crust turns golden. Remove from oven, and then go around the edge of the skillet with a knife to break off any ingredients sticking the cast iron.
- Very carefully (with oven mitt) cover the cast-iron skillet with a pizza tray and then flip the skillet and tray over. Give the bottom of the cast iron skillet a couple of taps and lift it up off the pizza tray. Place the pizza tray (pepperoni side up) back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so for added crispiness and crispier pepperonis.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.