Who doesn’t love a good mozzarella stick? That deep-fried crunch, gooey inside, sweet marinara sauce.. That’s the good stuff. The only way to improve them is to make your own homemade mozzarella sticks and add Dan-O’s Seasoning to the mix!
So cheese sticks are great, but you can get them anywhere. Giving them a proper seasoning is how you take them to the next level! So in comes Dan-O’s. I put significant potions of Dan-O’s in the eggs, flour and bread crumbs. I try not to put too much in the bread crumbs because it can burn, but a few tbs gives it some flavor and a nice brown coating.
Breading the cheese sticks (twice) is pretty labor-intensive, but you can speed it up with two people. You do want to freeze your cheese sticks for a good hour or two after breading them to ensure the cheese stays inside the breading, so you will get a break after this labor-intensive step. I might have skipped the freezer part this, but don’t be like me…
Serve homemade mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce and enjoy!
- 8 full-sized mozzarella string cheese
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- 4 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- Mix eggs and 1 tbs Dan-O’s seasoning on a small bowl. Add bread crumbs and flour to individual plates and mix in a few tbs of Dan-O’s seasoning in each.
- Start by rolling your mozzarella cheese in flour, then in the egg wash, and then in the breadcrumbs. Dip back into the egg and into the breadcrumbs again (2 coatings is important!)
- Repeat until all cheese sticks are coated and place into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Carefully heat your oil and fry in batches of 4 for about 30 seconds per side until golden brown. Carefully remove from oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with marinara sauce. Enjoy!