Y’all. I love some Mediterranean food. What’s great, is that a lot of flavors in Dan-O’s are friendly with the Mediterranean style. So as a time saver and my favorite one-and-done seasoning, Dan-O’s was my go-to for this homemade chicken gyro and Tzatziki recipe. My gyros were full of flavor, fresh veggies, warm pita, and delicious chicken! You’ll love em if you try em!
The first part of this recipe is marinating. I went almost 24 hours with my marinade and used chicken tenderloins to save from cutting. The marinade consists of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, oil, Dan-O’s Seasoning, and greek yogurt. The acid in the lemon juice and vinegar start to break down the protein in the chicken, making it super juicy as the flavors work their way in.
The veggies I chose were cucumber, cherry tomatoes from my garden, red onion, and green pepper. I did these for big crunches and fresh flavors, which is a perfect balance for the rich and citrus notes in the gyro. I meant to buy Tzatziki sauce to save time… but I forgot. Luckily, most of the ingredients in my marinade are all I needed to make some!
For the Tzatziki, a lot of recipes call for fresh dill. I substituted this for fresh parsley and mint from my garden. You’re also going to want to grate and dehydrate your cucumber… but I didn’t have a grater handy so I minced mine before squeezing through a paper towel. Honestly if you want to save time, call your local greek restaurant or pick some up. But mine was fine!
Wrapping a gyro is an art. I’d recommend parchment paper and watching a video or two. I did not… I used foil too, so pardon my pictures. But this stuff came out incredible! Bright, citrusy chicken, warm pita, cucumber, lemony, garlicky Dan-O’Sy Tzatziki and delicious fresh veggies. This was incredible. This Homemade Chicken Gyro and Tzatziki Recipe is something you deserve!
- Pack of pita bread (preferably big ones… smalls rounds work fine though)
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- 1 quart of Greek yogurt
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Large Green Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Baby Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Cucumber
- Minced garlic
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Herbs (dill or parsley, and mint)
- Make the marinade: Mix 1 cup of regular greek yogurt, 2 tbs of olive oil, 2 tbs of red wine vinegar, juice of one large lemon, 4 cloves of minced garlic, and 3-4 tbs of Dan-O’s.
- Add chicken and let marinate for 1-24 hours. The longer the better.
- Dehydrate half a cucumber: Either grate or mince half a cucumber. Squeeze all the liquid you can out of it with a paper towel. Add to bowl.
- Make the Tzatziki: Mix in 1 cup of greek yogurt, 2 clove minced garlic, 2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs red wine vinegar, 1 tbs lemon juice, dehydrated cucumber (from step 3), 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning, 1 tbs fresh parsley, dill, or mint. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut your veggies: Cut the baby tomatoes into halves or quarters depending on size, thinly cut your onion in strips, cut green pepper in long strips, and dice the cucumber. Set to the side.
- Cook your chicken: Charcoal grill or pan. Shake off excess marinade, cook each piece for 4 mins per side, or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Remove from heat to cool.
- Warm pita for about a minute each
- Build your gyro: Spread a big scoop of Tzatziki in the middle of the pita, add the chicken, add fresh veggies over the sides, and dressed over the top. Wrap pita, then enjoy!