One of the best “set it and forget it” recipes! This Easy Slowcooker Chicken Philly Subs Recipe makes delicious, mouthwatering sandwiches with just a handful of ingredients. For this recipe, I used my handy mini crockpot, started the chicken around 11 am, and then went about my day. By dinner time, all I had to do was grill some veggies and I was good to go!
The chicken filling is incredibly simple. It’s cooked in chicken broth, minced garlic, Dan-O’s Seasoning, and a bit of Worcestershire sauce. Some people put their peppers in the liquid themselves, but NOPE. Who wants soggy peppers and onions? Besides, fresh grilled peppers and onions with a little crunch left in them are the way to go.
Like my recent meatball sub recipe, the trick is to get the hoagie buns toasted perfectly. If you do this right, they will not fall apart and they will absorb the juices of the chicken perfectly while providing a perfect crunch. For my chicken Philly subs, I topped them with provolone cheese, hot sandwich peppers (from a jar), mayo, and sriracha.
These chicken Philly subs are perfect for game day or just a night you want something easy, peppery, and delicious. Enjoy!
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 3 tbs Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- Hoagie buns
- Provolone cheese
- Sandwich peppers (your desired heat)
- Mayo and sriracha (optional)
- Place chicken breasts, chicken broth, woo sauce and Dan-O’s in your mini crockpot. Cook on high for about 3 hours. Turn down to low and then finish cooking for 4 more hours.
- Cut your pepper and onion into strips. Cook in a pan with oil on medium heat for 5 minutes or so (where they are softended but still have some crunch).
- Remove chicken breasts from liquid and shred on a plate. Add a few teaspoons of broth over shredded chicken before building a sandwich (don’t put all the chicken back in the liquid or it will get mushy! You just want it moist).
- Carefully open your hoagie buns, and coat each side with a light coating of oil or butter. Bake each bun (open-faced down) for about 3 minutes until slightly toasted.
- Remove buns from the oven. Add chicken then peppers, then add cheese to top. Place back in the oven for another 3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and add sandwich peppers, mayo, and drizzle with sriracha (all optional, but optimal).