Hey, Chicago-style pizza fans! Chuck here with an awesome Dan-O’s veggie, & sausage homemade Chicago-style pizza recipe. And while I say Chicago style, and am sure there are a few things I didn’t do by the books. But dangit, as a New Yorker, this is super Chicago for me! There is so much emphasis on the sauce, crust, and toppings. That’s what I’m all about!
I goofed a little on this one, as I realized I grabbed one pack of premade crust instead of two. Really, I use about one and a half… (two is a lot of dough!) but I made it work. The premade dough is the major time saver for me… but I churched it up with butter, Dan-O’s Seasoning, and parmesan… yum. You can get a premade canned crust, make your own, or do the bag/box stuff like me this time.
Two things I HIGHLY recommend doing. 1. Use a cast-iron skillet because it just does something to the crust and makes it epic. 2. Make your own sauce. You don’t have to go crazy with the sauce, but a basic sauce with can tomatoes (crushed, peeled or diced), tomato paste, sugar, salt, and minced onion goes a LONG way. I tossed in a few frozen cherry tomatoes from my garden, and they practically melt and give a great freshness. Don’t forget the Dan-O’s!
Another thing… roast your veggies first. My recipe calls for broccoli (if you haven’t tried it on pizza, you’re goofin’). If you don’t roast your veggies, they might be crunchy at the end and that’s not fun. Roast them in the oven after preheating with some oil and a little Dan-O’s. MMMM. I recommend hot Italian sausage too for a little spice and the best flavor!
My preferred layering is: crust, mozzarella, roasted veggies, sausage, sauce, parmesan cheese and more Dan-O’s. But it’s your pizza… go wild! It’s going to be fantastic no matter what. So enjoy this Dan-O’s veggie, & sausage homemade Chicago-style pizza recipe.
- 12 inch round cast iron skillet
- 2 boxes of jiffy pizza crust mix (or whatever premade crust you prefer)
- Veggies: (I used onion, garlic, broccoli, red bell pepper)
- Tomatoes: canned peeled crushed tomatoes, a few baby tomatoes, small can of tomato paste)
- Cheese: Mozzarella and parmesan
- Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- Olive oil and or butter
- ½ Lb of spicy Italian sausage
- Start your sauce: Add canned tomatoes, sugar, Dan-O’s, tomato paste, cherry tomatoes (optional) minced onion, and salt to saucepan and heat on low. Season to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Preheat a small skillet on medium heat for sausage
- Prep your veggies. Cut one onion into strips, mince some for the sauce, cut your red pepper in strips, and cut broccoli into small pieces and set to the side.
- Get your dough ready. It takes about 5 minutes of rising for the stuff in the bag or box. Kneed and follow instructions on box
- Cook your sausage (you can undercook it slightly because it will cook more in the oven)
- Roast your veggies: coat in oil and Dan-O’s and roast for about 12 minutes
- Prepare the cast iron skillet: Add some oil or butter and rub a piece of garlic around the whole pan
- Form dough into cast iron skillet. Make your edges a few inches higher than the bottom crust. Brush with oil, then put in the oven for 4 minutes to firm up
- Remove pan and veggies from over. Brush crust of pizza with butter, Dan-O’s Seasoning, and Parmesan cheese!
- Now that everything is cooked. Start layering your ingredients: Pizza crust, mozzarella cheese, veggies, sausage, sauce
- Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese and Dan-O’s, then place in the oven for 22-25 minutes
- Carefully remove from the oven. Let cool down, slice, and serve!