That’s right! Fried. Pizza. Wontons. They’re crunchy, filled with your favorite pizza toppings, and flavored with Dan-O’s Seasoning! These wontons were inspired by a Louisville Pizza joint called Pizza Donisi’s which serves something similar to these. They do theirs for a living, so they are really good at making them… but ours can be the next best thing, right?
Also, we use egg roll wrappers. So when you’re wondering about the nomenclature, here is the scoop: you can put anything in a wonton. Egg rolls, however, are more specific… I think. So these are wontons! And you dip them in marinara, and they’re flavored with Dan-O’s Seasoning. Like, we should have been making these for years.
For the filling, I used pepperoni, Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoned Italian sausage, and mozzarella. For the mozzarella, I found these “mozzarella pearls”, which are essentially little balls of mozzarella. This means I didn’t have to cut mozzarella or use the lame pre-grated kind. Maybe next time I’ll cut some off a mozz log because it wasn’t the easiest rolling these pearls… into my wontons ;).
If you’ve never rolled an egg-roll, I recommend watching some videos because it would be hard to explain through words. But it’s really easy! And when you’re done… you’ll have crunchy little spicy pizza wontons. They’re the perfect game day snack or addition to your cheat night. You could definitely bake these or air fry them, but they won’t be as crunchy so I say bail on that.
So here you go! A spicy Dan-O’s pizza wontons recipe that will make you a game-day legend. Enjoy!
- 8 oz package of mozzarella pearls or any fresh mozzarella
- ½ lb of spicy Italian sausage
- ½ lb pepperoni
- Egg roll wrappers (roughly 10)
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- Season your sausage with generous amounts of Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning. Cook sausage until fully cooked. Strain out excess grease, and set to the side.
- Lay out equal parts pepperoni on a cutting board, and chop into small bite-size pieces.
- Add 2 tbs of four and 2 tbs warm water to small dish and mix together to make a “glue” for your egg rolls.
- Lay out one egg roll wrapper, add a large pinch of mozzarella, sausage, and pepperoni to the center. Add “glue” along each end of the egg roll wrapper. Fold like an envelope from the bottom, and then on the sides, and then roll into tight egg roll form.
- Heat up oil in a deep frying pan. Heat oil to 300-350 degrees. Cook egg rolls (wontons) until they are golden brown. Remove wontons from grease, and lay on paper towels until you’re ready to eat.
- Serve with Dan-O’s Seasoned marinara and sprinkle shredded parmesan for looks. Enjoy!