If you’re one to follow Dan-O’s Seasoning, you’ve seen Dan-O make a variation of these smoked jalapeno poppers and even go viral with them. This other way requires no special tools, as we cook them horizontally! This is one of those easy smoking recipes that is perfect for beginners, and makes for a great way to fill your smoker when you have extra room.
So, for this recipe, you’re going to want to get some BIG jalapenos. The bigger they are, the more filling you can add and the easier they are to make. You also want to make sure you’re using thin bacon, as thick-cut won’t cut it 😉 Add some cheese and some Dan-O’s Seasoning, and you’re in business!
When you’re making this Smoked Jalapeno Poppers recipe, make sure to leave your cream cheese out for a few hours to soften. You really only need a spoon to scoop the jalapenos, and you will want a plastic bag to fill the jalapenos. Your Dan-O’s will go inside the pepper, inside the filling, and on top of the bacon! It really adds so much flavor to this recipe!
I found this recipe is best to make around 250 degrees, but then you’ll want to turn it up to 350 for the last 10-15 minutes to crisp your bacon. If your bacon is a little crisp on the bottom, that’s good! Think of it like the bark on a good brisket or pork butt. The main goal is to have melty cheese, a little char on the bottom, and crisp bacon, so however long that takes you.
Serve Smoked Jalapeno Poppers with your favorite smoked meats. Enjoy!
- 6-8 large jalapenos
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 spoonful of sour cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- 12-16 strips of bacon
- Leave your cream cheese out a few hours to get to room temp.
- Cut your jalapenos in half long ways and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Lay on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Dan-O’s. In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, mustard, and a few tbsp of spicy Dan-O’s together. Add this mixture to a plastic bag and cut off one of the corners.
- Squeeze filling into the peppers and then spread inside. Make sure the filling is level with the edges of the pepper and that they are not overstuffed. Add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese to each pepper.
- Wrap each pepper with 1 piece of bacon. Be careful not to overlap and avoid having multiple layers of bacon, as it will take longer to cook. Use a toothpick to hold bacon in place if needed, and sprinkle your spicy Dan-O’s all over the top of the wrapped peppers.
- Start your smoker and let it preheat. Add the peppers to the smoker and let cook for roughly 30-45 minutes at 250 degrees. After the peppers start to soften and the bacon starts to cook, turn up the smoker to 350 degrees to crisp the bacon and finish. Smoke until desired crispiness.
- Remove peppers from the smoker and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ranch for dipping.