Want some buffalo wings without spending the big dollars or making a mess with frying oil? Give these crispy baked buffalo wings a try! These wings use a simple, but always tasty homemade buffalo sauce and only take about an hour to bake. The Spicy Dan-O compliments these wings perfectly, and there’s a technique to make them nice and crispy.
For the wings, you can get the long bois and cut them in half to separate the drum and the flat, but party wings work just fine. I love to brine my wings for added flavor and tenderness for about 6 hours. Dry the heck out of them before you cook, in the fridge for the best results, and then you’ll want to toss them in spicy Dan-O’s mixed with baking powder.
For the buffalo sauce, you’re familiar with it if you follow our recipes. It’s a simple mix of hot sauce (Franks or Sweet Baby Ray’s), butter, spicy Dan-O’s, honey, and garlic. Simple, yet spot on and effective. You can use unsalted butter and add as much as you’re comfortable with if you’re going low sodium, but salted butter probably tastes better. Make while your wings cook and toss em in the sauce when they’re done!
Serve Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings with your favorite ranch and celery. Enjoy!
For the wings
- 5-6 chicken drums or flats per person
- Baking powder
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
For the brine
- Sea salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- Spicy pickle juice
- Black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 tbsp spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- (Optional) Make your brine by combining 1 tbsp sea salt per 1 cup of water until you have enough to cover your wings. Mix in a few splashes of spicy pickle juice, a dash of Worcestershire, and a bit of fresh black pepper. Stir until dissolved. Place your wings in a freezer bag and pour the brine over. Let the wings soak in the brine for 4-6 hours in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Remove your wings from the brine and shake off the excess liquid. Place wings on a paper towel lined tray, and dry off with paper towels until as dry as you can get them.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Add wings to a large bowl, and add about 1 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder and a ¼ tsp salt per 9-10 wings. Add in several shakes of spicy Dan-O’s to your mix as well. Toss wings in the baking powder and Dan-O’s until evenly coated and then transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack. Sprinkle your wings with a nice coating of spicy Dan-O’s before adding to the oven.
- Bake wings for 45 mins – 1 hour depending on their size until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Flip your wings over halfway through cooking and rotate the pan a few times during the baking process.
- While your wings are baking, add 1 stick of butter to a saucepan and turn the meat to medium until melted. Mix in the garlic, honey, and Dan-O’s, then slowly mix in your hot sauce. Bring to a bubble and then turn down to medium-low and cook for a minimum of 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce is smooth and starts to thicken, turn it down to low until chicken wings are ready.
- Once your wings are ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool down for about 5 minutes. Place them in a large bowl and toss them in the buffalo sauce.
- Serve with celery or carrots and your favorite ranch.