The best Dan Black Beans
Beans, beans, magical fruit. Well you know the rest but these black beans are so Dan good you will want them for every meal! Savory, and packed with flavor, these go well with so many things. Try them with philly cheese steak nachos to take them to the next level, or with the prime rib burrito or cheesy sirloin crunchwrap. Now for some history! Black beans are one of more than 500 varieties of kidney beans. They’re native to the Americas but have been popular in other cultures since trade was established. One nickname for black bean is the turtle bean. Black beans are most popular in Cajun, and creole cookin’, while also being popular in Indian, and Tamil cuisine as well.
Black beans are about the size of a pea, up to ½ inch long with a less pronounced boat shape than the kidney bean. When cooked, these beans have a creamy texture with a strong,slightly sweet flavor. Like peas,lentils,and peanuts, black beans are legumes. There are many varieties of black beans, and they tend to have fun names. Here’s some examples of black bean varieties: Black magic, Blackhawk, Condor, Raven, and Domino beans.
- 1 lb black beans
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 limes, juiced
- 6 cloves garlic
- Dan-O’s Original
- ¼ bunch of cilantro
- Add bag of beans to a large pot of boiling water for a 1 minute, turn off heat and let soak for 1 hour
- Strain the beans and add back to the pot
- Add chicken stock, and heat to slow simmer
- Add diced tomatoes, diced onion, diced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, lime juice, chopped garlic, and Dan-O’s Original
- Cover and simmer for 4-5 hours
- Serve and enjoy!