The nachos she told you not to worry about. Homemade beer cheese, homemade pickled jalapenos, smoked pork, crema, EVERYTHING. They Dan-Good too! These nachos are easily as good as any you can find in any bar or pub. And if you already have (or plan on) smoking pork, then these other fixins will cost you less than an order of nachos at a restaurant.
For the pork, I used some leftovers from my Dan-O’s Rubbed & Injected Pork Butt recipe. Still had plenty after a few days, so why not! The beer cheese comes from my bacon beer cheese recipe, but I omitted the bacon. This is a very good basic beer cheese recipe you can use again and again, and for things like this. My recipe makes far more beer cheese than needed for these nachos, so plan for folks being able to have more of that at your gathering.
For the pickled jalapenos, I quick-pickled them in a simple vinegar, water, honey, salt brine. Super easy. I also used store-bought pico to save a little time. For the sauces, I did a quick mix of crema and sour cream, and made a 50/50 bbq hot sauce. The hot sauce BBQ combo is great for the smoky pork, and hot sauce for the chips!
The final component of these nachos is good chips. You will not find the types of chips in my photo in a grocery store, so you will want to get some from your favorite Mexican spot. Call them, let them know you love their chips and you need them for a personal recipe. Make them feel good.
Serve your Beer Cheese & Smoked Pork Nachos as an appetizer for an epic meal, or just eat them outright. Enjoy!
- Dan-O’s Seasoning smoked pork shoulder
- Good tortilla chips
- 1 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 12 oz lager
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Spicy Dan-O’s Seasoning
- BBQ sauce
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream and (or) crema
- Pico de gallo
- Cilantro (optional)
- 4 jalapenos
- White vinegar
- Start your beer cheese. Shred a 1 lb block of cheddar into a crockpot. Once it’s all shredded, add in your dijon mustard, and about 8 oz of beer. Add in 2 tbsp spicy Dan-O’s, some black pepper, and some salt. Cook until cheese fully melts (about 2-3 hours), then turn to low. Add in about a tbsp of flour towards the middle of cooking to thicken up if needed.
- Start your jalapenos. Slice 4-5 jalapenos and add to a mason jar. In a small saucepan, add about ¾ cups of vinegar and water, 1 tbsp salt, and 1 tbsp honey. Bring to a boil, then pour over jalapenos in the mason jar. Add your lid and set to the side.
- Mix your sauces. In one dish or sauce bottle, mix a bit of crema and sour cream. Or, mix sour cream with a splash of water to thin out. In your other dish or bottle, mix together hot sauce and BBQ sauce.
- Warm your pork. I often revive my pork in the oven or microwave with a bit of beef stock.
- Gather all your fixings and prepare nachos! Put your chips down, followed by your Dan-O’s Seasoned pork, beer cheese, pico, and jalapenos. Drizzle your sauces over top all nice. Make it pretty. Finish with cilantro.
- Serve your Beer Cheese & Smoked Pork Nachos as an appetizer or just eat them by themselves. Enjoy!