Dan-O got a new toy! We’ve been hearing all about these Orion Cookers, and how they make smoking your food fast and easy. We’ve already cooked chicken with it, so this time we’re making some smoked ribs for our eatin’ pleasure! We’re also doing spare ribs AND baby backs for variety.
As you know… Dan-O’s Seasoning does not have any sugar. Most rib rubs will have some sugar so you can get some bark and caramelization on the outside. So we’re churching up our own seasoning with some coconut sugar and chipotle seasoning. This blend will take your pork to the next level with the sweet, spicy, and savory mix of flavors.
Now, the Orion Cooker is something else! This thing cooks ribs in about an hour and a half, something we’re used to taking 6 + hours. This is because the indirect heat makes it super hot, as your food cooks with radiant heat, steam, and smoke! It’s magical. You can follow this recipe along in whatever smoker you have (times will vary), but trust us on the Orion!
So there you have it. A smoked rib recipe worthy of a competition, in a next level piece of equipment. Enjoy!
- Coconut Sugar
- Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Baby Back or Spare Ribs
- Yellow mustard
- Mix 4 parts Dan-O’s Spicy Seasoning to 1 part coconut sugar and 1 part chipotle seasoning
- Remove membrane from back side of ribs
- Add a light coating of yellow mustard to both sides of ribs for seasoning to stick
- Apply liberal amount of seasoning to each side of the ribs
- Cook for roughly 1.5 hours in your Orion cooker (or cook to temperature in traditional grill/smoker)
- Add sauce after cooking or during the last part of cooking process